There is no denying that silver jewelry is exquisite. It is also known for its durability, appearance, and affordability. With 92.5 percent silver and 7.5 percent copper (or any metal), artisans mostly use sterling silver in rings and earrings.
Finding premium quality can be a challenge if you have an untrained eye. The popular jewelry material appears similar to platinum and pure silver and it is hard to spot the difference. However, to find a quality piece, it is important to know the difference between various jewelry materials.
There are numerous online and local jewelers selling imitations. Regardless of how unique and beautiful your ring design is, it is hard to assess its authenticity. However, if you think you do not have an experienced eye to pick up the real sterling silver ring, we can help you. These five tips will help you ensure that you are investing in the real deal.
Tips to Buying an Authentic Sterling Silver Ring
1. Assess The Ring Price: Assessing price is crucial as sterling silver is a precious metal and that must be reflected in its price. It is better to check the current market price of the material before you go to buy a ring. This tip will provide you a baseline to help you assess the ring’s price. Be aware of inexpensive deals and massive discount rates on the sterling silver rings
2. Look For Specific Hallmarks On The Ring: Luckily, sterling silver has certain specific hallmarks that distinguish it from other similar materials. Identifying these hallmarks is not easy as they are mostly in discrete places and can be incredibly tiny. You might need a magnifying glass and good lighting to check them.
‘925’ or ‘STERLING’ are the two hallmarks that you can find on your ring when you physically inspect it. If your ring has any of these marks, it is of a good quality.
3. Ensure Authenticity with Physical Tests: This is one of the reliable ways to assess the quality of your ring. Simple, yet effective, these minor tests are harmless and do not take much time.
- One way to test authenticity is to check if your ring latches on a magnet. If it does not have the magnetic property, it is pure and safe to invest money in.
- Rub your ring with a white cloth, if you see black marks rest assure, you have made the right choice.
4. Talk to a jeweler: Talking to a jeweler will help you determine the price, quality, silver sourcing and hallmarks of the ring. Moreover, the jeweler will better guide you about the latest trends and designs in sterling silver rings.5. Go For an Appraisal: Getting an appraisal is a convenient way to ensure the quality of your ring. Consult an expert after you buy the ring to make sure you have invested in the right product.
6. Bottom Line: Following the above-mentioned tips will go a long way in making sure you buy an authentic sterling silver ring. Although they are much more affordable form of jewelry when compared to gold, you still want to make sure that the one you buy is of very high quality.